Visceral Manipulation (VM) is a unique form of gentle manual therapy which addresses the visceral (organ) systems in the body. It works with our own body’s ability to heal itself and achieve balance.
Each Viscera (organs) has interdependent movements that occur within and around all the organs. And each organ has a fascial connection (it sort of like a spider-web if we think about it) to the musculoskeletal system (muscles). Thus, we are a web of interconnected tissues and every organs in our body relies upon interdependent movements that occur within and around all other organs.
When there is an adhesion (think about “sticky glue”) between two tissues or organs, it can cause lack of free movement in the tissues and organs. This can result in a decreased function of the organ or structure itself due to an alteration in the actual structure.
For example, think about the number of movements that occur in our belly / abdomen and chest as well as pelvic area. When there is lack of free movement of the intestines, it may cause constipation, gas, and bloating problems. In addition, lack of free movement or if there is malposition of the structures in the pelvic area, it may lead to hormonal imbalance even fertility issues.
In the chest area, there are several structures. We take about 24,000 breaths per day and the heart beats about 120,000 times in a day. If we take into consideration all the different articulations in the thorax area, we will experience approximately 3,000,000 different movements every day in this area of our body.
Imagine if there is an adhesion (a stickiness) between two structures in the thorax area itself, it may lead to a change in one location that will affect the axis of all other movements in the thorax, which may lead to several health problems in this area. Due to millions of interdependent movements that occur every day, one “simple” adhesion may lead to wide implications, and if we multiply over time by the millions of repetitions. These adhesions can develop because of many factors such as trauma , injury, dehydration of tissues, inflammations, infections, surgery, poor eating habits and lifestyle or sedentary lifestyle, even psychological stress and trauma, and all other forms of stress.
Common conditions that can benefit from Visceral Therapy, including :
- Digestive problems, such as IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis (UC), GERD, ulcers, constipation, diarrhea, and many others.
- Women’s health conditions, fertility issues, such as PMS, endometriosis, menopause, and other hormonal imbalances
- pregnancy health, and postpartum health
- Chronic pain conditions, such as fibromyalgia, musculoskeletal complaints, injuries, sciatica, herniated disc, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, arthritis, gout, and other rheumatic diseases.
- Autoimmune conditions
- Allergies, sinusitis, chronic infections, immune system disorders
- Mental health problems : Anxiety, depression, hyperactivity, ADHD, special needs kids, autism, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer, other mood challenges.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, spinal cord injuries, and many other central nervous system disorders
- Common pediatric conditions, such as infections, allergies, digestive complaints, sleep problems, autism, colic, otitis (ear infections)
- Post surgical recovery, including post-partum (C-section)
How do I know if Visceral Therapy can help me?
You can schedule an initial session with us by email us. We will help you to evaluate your condition fully or in a holistic way, and we will be able to tell you how we can help you with your health goals. We will also help you with customized and individualized treatment plan that is suitable for your condition and health goals.